Each time your students complete nationally recognised training, you must collect and verify their Unique Student Identifier (USI) before you can confer a qualification or statement of attainment.
When you submit your data according to the new VET data collection and reporting requirements, it will now include the USI for each of your students. This USI will be reported to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) and entered in the national data collection.
The new Unique Student Identifier (USI) scheme is underpinned by the Student Identifiers Act 2014, Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTO) 2015 and Student Identifiers Regulation 2014 and these require that you, the training organisation:
- Collect a USI from each student
- Verify a USI supplied by a student
- Ensure a student has a valid USI before conferring a qualification or statement of attainment on that student
- Ensure the security of USIs and related documentation
- Destroy any personal information which you collected solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on behalf of a student
- Adhere to all legislative requirements under the USI legislative requirements
You will be required to have a valid and verified USI for each of your students before you issue a qualification or statement of attainment to that student. When a student logs into their USI account it will link to the national data collection using the USI. The students USI account will then be able to see their records and results completed. Your student’s results from 2015 will be available in their USI accounts in 2016.
Click here to open the USI Registry System – User Guide for Training Organisations.